As noted in Shaping our Schools, Shaping Our Future: Environmental Education in Ontario Schools,
“is the responsibility of the entire education community. It is a content area and can be taught. It is an approach to critical thinking, citizenship, and personal responsibility, and can be modeled. It is a context that can enrich and enliven education in all subject areas, and offer students the opportunity to develop a deeper connection with themselves, their role in society, and their interdependence on one another and the Earth’s natural systems” (page 10)
Leading the Outdoor Education FDK Project in Simcoe DSB with Tori Osadca from Willow Landing, we aim to align provincial priorities with board initiatives to meet these goals:
- to increase the capacity of SCDSB Full-Day Early Learning teams to implement inquiry-based and experiential learning while using the newly-built outdoor classrooms with students
- To impact student engagement and student achievement in Science & Tech, Literacy and Numeracy
- To highlight and promote the expertise of exemplary SCDSB kindergarten teams (in a demo class capacity) as they support student achievement in these specific learning domains.
- To augment and revise the SCDSB working document Outdoor Learning Spaces
- To share this professional learning with new FDK teams at implementation training in June